I would like to wish all a Happy Thanksgiving Day. I have been blessed and hope that everyone of you has been blessed. 


Susan is nearing her one year anniversary of receiving her new lungs.  On October the 21st, she celebrated by walking in the Annual Second Wind 5K walk/run in Forest Park. The whole family came out and supported her for the event. Lots of hills, good food and laughs were had during the course of the day. She did great! It is so nice to have her back! 


The next day was the Rock 'N Roll Marathon. I finished it six minutes over my goal of five hours. The day was perfect, in the forties, at about daybreak and slowly warming the eighties toward noon.  Again, having the family there to support and celebrate was really nice.  Time to gear up for Halloween.  Enjoy the festive season that is getting ready to start!


Susan Update - Dr. Trulock said the magic words, "Susan will be getting out of the hospital next Friday." Hooray! She is getting by on room air, (like we do). Rebecca (Social Worker) informed Susan that she is Barnes-Jewish lung transplant number 1178. (I just call her 8) Today she walked at her target speed for 18 minutes. We celebrated by ordering Papa John's Pizza and bread sticks and watching a video. It was like being home for the evening except .......
We are thankful for all the things we have been blessed with. God is good. We are praying for friends and relatives in need. Good night.


Susan Update - This was another really good day for Susan. She passed her swallow test, which means that she can now eat solid foods for the first time in a month. Think mashed potatoes and gravy and breakfast items. Good times! She walked about 800 feet, and did an 8 hour wean from the ventilator. She is sleeping peacefully now. We want to thank the donor and the donor's family for the gift of life. Please pray for comfort for them. The Lord has been good to us. Goodnight.


Susan Update - Today was a work day for Susan. She walked, and did 4 hours PVS time on the ventilator. After having a stint inserted into her Gall Bladder yesterday, the pain a and swelling went down measurably. Things are going much smoother today despite a tough headache that lasted most of the day. Susan would like to thank everyone for the cards, phone calls, visits, prayers and well wishes. 

I would like to add that I appreciate the continued support so many of you continue to show me, and my family.


Thanks to all at Social Strata for the get well card.  It was very thoughtful.  


Susan Update - Susan is bedded down for the night. Our night nurse is from Makanda. We didn't have to explain where Harrisburg was to him. Susan did 2 hours breathing over her Ventilator. Score 0, which means zero effect on her heart. Top score possible. Those nontrads know how to bust the curve. Hope everyone has a good weekend. Get out and do something before it gets too cold. Hug someone. Goodnight.



Susan Update - Today was a good day at the hospital. She is back on track to get the ventilator removed. We certainly do have a lot to be thankful for. I spoke with a lady today who said that the Lord has never made a body that couldn't be healed. Wow! Susan will be at this address for at least 3 weeks.

Susan Bevis
8923 PICRU
1 Barnes-Jewish Hospital Dr.

St Louis, MO 63110

Enjoy the weekend.


Apparently it has been a while since I have posted. I have been reading posts though, just hanging in the background.


Sube is working hard at staying on the healthy program, she is still hitting the treadmill hard.  


Harold came through town so he and I did some Geotromping through woods, creeks, and a tunnel.  We ended up finding 5.  Good times! We had a shot at a first to find, but ended up being 2nd and 3rd to find.  Still got smiley faces though. 


Sube and I went to Chicago when I ran the Chicago Marathon.  That was a goal after the heart attack and it finally got marked off the list.  It seems now that a marathon is a really long way to run. It seemed like a good goal nearly two years ago.  Thanks to Lori for posting about all the runs in the snow and dark.  I got to experience all that and then some in the train-up for the race.  


St. Louis Cardinals are up 2 games to 1 over the Texas Rangers in the 2011 World Series.  GO CARDS!  What a year!  


Congrats to Rosemary and Ted on the move out East.  You guys have the country covered now.  


I look forward to reading posts from everyone, so post often.

The Seattle Mariners will be coming to Busch Stadium in St. Louis on June the 14th. Recently retired Ken Griffey Jr. will be missed. Several of his history making bashes were accomplished at the home of the St. Louis Cardinals. Jr. was admired and respected by Cardinal baseball fans.  Anybody got a dollar on the series?
Photos (1)
cards seattle
No walking today.  Sube has called the Doctor and made an appointment for Tuesday, April 27.  Spent the evening mowing the yard and weed eating to get cardio in. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Day 18 Monday April 26, 2010
Distance 0 miles
Time 0

I went to the Doctor today. He said that the swelling below my knee is an inflammation of the bursae. He gave me a choice between the slower less painful approach that involved a course of drugs but much longer recovery time, OR a shot of Cortizone right in the middle of the swelling. I said "Let's go for the shot". Should be back to running in about 3 weeks. Tomorrow should be the last day of much pain, then it should get better.  I am ready to run.

Day 19 Tuesday April 27, 2010
Distance 0 miles
Time 0

Doctor said the knee would hurt today. He is one smart fellow.  I got to get back outside today.  I went to the local High School track and walked for a mile and a half. I turned up a little short of the prescribed 30 minutes.   Knee was smarting pretty good by the time I quit.  That's right I said quit.  I limped off the track and to the car, and drove home slowly.  I am now on my way back to running.  Sube loaned me her MP3 player to listen to as I walked.  That is a pretty neat invention.  No static, no fading in and out, no commercials.  She sure knows how to take care of a guy.  When I got home Sube had ribeye steaks Shake and Baked and nearly ready to eat.  Carrots, peaches from last year with granola mixed in, and some whole wheat toast with iced tea to drink.  Nom nom nom nom. Life is good.

Day 20 Wednesday April 28, 2010
Distance 1.5 miles
Time 25:18          (Slow, but back on the board)

We went to St. Louis today and watched the St. Louis Cardinal baseball team win handily.  Resulted in no walking or running.  

Day 21 Thursday April 29, 2010
Distance 0 miles
Time 0

Sube and I went to the track together. She climbed all the way up to the top of the bleachers to get a birds eye view.  GOOD JOB Sube.  I made a discovery.  After the first lap or so, I extended my stride, resulting in less pain and better time.  Eureka.  My lap times started going down.  I assume that the longer stride caused less jarring on the knee and therefore less pain.  Whatever, I managed to do 2 miles.  Yeah team!

Day 22 Friday April 30, 2010
Distance 2 miles
Time 30:46

Photos (1)
Spring is almost here,  and cold and flu season is just about over.  Has anyone else noticed the practice of people twisting toilet paper or kleenex into a corkscrew shape and cramming one up each nostril? It seems to give some people a certain relief from a runny nose.  If done just right, it looks like there is only one nostril, right in the middle of the snoot, like a UniSnoot.

I ate at a BBQ joint in East St. Louis one time. It had a little  bullet proof plexiglass revolving door that you put your money in and got your food out of.  They had some FINE BBQ pig snoots. I saw some people order them and then eat them by sticking their index finger and their middle fingers right into the nostrils. Made for a perfect way to hold the snoot while the swiveled it around and ate the meat off.  It was some fine eating.

Well If one tried to eat a UniSnoot, which finger would one use? Thumb? Index finger? New at a BBQ joint near you! UNISNOOT! Ask for it if you don't see it.
Bunn Coffee pot

Has anyone used one of these Bunn coffee making machines? They work great when used by anyone with even half bit of intelligence.  You can probably already tell what my problem is then.  

We have one of these at work.  Blaine F. or I usually start the day by attempting to make 2 or 3 pots of coffee without making a HUGE mess.  Sometimes we are successful.

  1. Make sure there is an empty pot on the bottom burner ready to receive hot coffee.
  2. Make sure basket contains filter and coffee and is inserted in the track above the pot on bottom burner.  (seems simple doesn't it?)
  3. Pour the right amount of cold water in to the hole on top of the machine. (Did I mention the machine sits on top of an old computer cabinet)
  4. WAIT for coffee to fully drain into the pot.  
Failure to do any of the above will result in about 12 gallons of hot (did I mention hot?) coffee spraying, pouring, and running all over the cabinet, refrigerator, floor, and possibly down the stairs to the basement, not to mention assorted body parts and clothing.  Luckily this sort of mistake only happens 2 or 3 times a week.  My usual reaction is to stand there with jaw hanging while I wonder "What is the matter with the machine?  It isn't supposed to do THAT"  Just long enough for the coffee to drench the area.   I only use this machine about 220 days a year (metric conversion table available on request)  I hope to get the hang of it sometime in the next 5 years.
Photos (1)
Harold stopped by today on the way through Southern Illinois.  Sube and I got to eat dinner with him and talk LiveCloud.  Hope to see him again soon.  Let this serve as an open invitation to other Clouders to come on down.

Photos (1)


by Abigail Elizabeth McIntyre 

Crap....It's Cold 

The End


This is a very easy way to visually thank a member of the military for what they are doing for us.  Take a couple of minutes and learn how.

Click for Link
Powered By Hoo.do